06 November 2012

Reluctant Rocket (HMB Jetty)

Rocket was reluctant to leave the board bag this morning. Very reluctant. After tugging and shaking, twisting and pulling for several minutes, I'd only dislodged my board a few inches. The bag is a tight fit, and I assume the warm weather melted the wax just enough to get Rocket stuck inside. I gave up and asked a nearby surfer boy to help out. With him pulling the board and me hanging onto the bag, we finally got Rocket free to surf.
Perhaps I should have taken Rocket's reluctance as a sign. The warbly waves were mostly closed out, head-high to a bit over on the sets and punchy. I spent an unfortunate amount of time getting rolled. I'd told the friend of Rocket-Freer where the submerged rocks are before we paddled out, and I found one of them with my knee during a particularly thorough thrashing. For my trouble I got one decent bouncy left. It was a smaller wave, about chest high, but I was happy to have a shoulder to play on, however briefly. When I was ready to come in, I caught another left that sectioned right away but let me ride a little before dropping me in the heavy slosh near the riprap wall.
Still, the weather was beautiful! So no complaints. Any day surfing is a good day.

Late fall bloom
Surfline: Strong, reinforcing pulse of WNW (270-310) swell joins continued/solid NW-WNW (290-310) energy this morning. Better breaks are running head high+ to double overhead range while standout exposures pull in some solidly double overhead+ sets. Challenging but good surf. Setting up to be another classic Fall day. Buoy 46026: (Wave) SWELL: 6.9 ft at 13.8 s WNW 99 / WIND WAVE: 1.0 ft at 3.1 s ENE / WVHT: 6.9 ft / APD: 9.2 s / MWD: 288° (Met) WSPD: 8 kn / GST: 10 kn / WVHT: 7.6 ft / DPD: 14.0 s / ATMP: 62° F / WTMP: 58° F. Tide: 3' low rising slowly to over 3.5'.
Don't forget to vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment