10 November 2012

Birthday Party Waves (38th Ave)

J-Bird, Perrin, Heather, Rose & Max
Unlike prior years, I didn't get a new surfboard for my birthday (I feel like I have more learning to do on Rocket anyway), and I didn't spend my birthday riding waves someplace tropical. Getting laid off has a way of throwing the usual plans - and life in general - into disarray. But I did get to enjoy a lovely sunny day surfing eastside Santa Cruz with three of my best surfer girl friends.

I showed up a bit late for my own birthday surf. J-Bird, Heather and Perrin had already arrived and the early 'Bird made the call for 38th Ave. We were joined by Rose and Max. I'd brought my 8'3" Magic for Perrin to try, and little Nemo for myself. The soft small waves at 38th were good for longboarding but a bit challenging on the fish. Dropping tide improved conditions, although with the weekend crowd I still had to sit inside and catch them fairly late. That put me near Max, who also had a fish but much bigger than mine. Big fish, little fish.
Seal! Otters were out today too.
Some random dude
Perrin started off sitting way to the right of the break, which had too much water on it to work initially. I called her over to my spot on the left close to Jack's house, then into her first wave on Magic. I hooted as she rode all the way to the inside, then paddled back with a big smile on her face. She said the board's much tippier than her beginner log and she expected to fall right away, then was surprised not to. Perrin got a bunch more nice rides during our two-and-a-half hour session. So stoked for her!
Perrin after her first Magic ride
Happy 'Bird
Just after I handed Perrin my camera, a set rolled through and she scrambled to keep from dropping it
Glass
J-Bird and Heather were riding longboards too and also getting good long rides. Mine were not so long, since the waves lacked enough push to keep my 5'4" fishie moving as they neared the shore. And I had to really paddle hard to get into them. Still I got a bunch of rides, lefts and rights, some with fun little shoulders to start. And I think I rode a wave with each of my friends, going left on the inside as they rode right from farther out. Great birthday party waves on a beautiful day! Yew!
Post-surf lunch at Margaritaville

Surfline: We have a mix of SSW groundswell and easing NW windswell. Conditions remain clean with light wind early, but many areas are very inconsistent at the moment. When the sets do work through, expect waves in the 3-4'+ zone, especially as the tide begins to drop out. Buoy 46026: (Wave) SWELL: 6.2 ft at 11.4 s NW 100 / WIND WAVE: 3.6 ft at 5.6 s WNW / WVHT: 7.2 ft / APD: 6.7 s / MWD: 313° (Met) WSPD: 16 kn / GST: 19 kn / WVHT: 7.2 ft / DPD: 11.0 s / ATMP: 53° F / WTMP: 55° F. Tide: 3' falling to 0.5'.
Ain't California grand?

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday.

    A good days surf at a local spot with friends = great birthday present

    ReplyDelete