18 May 2010

What GoeSUP, Must Come Down

I've found Mother Ocean always tends to slap me down when I start getting a little too cocky, like crowing about not falling once my first time paddleboarding. And she didn't have to try very hard when we took SUPs out in ocean waves instead of on flat water. I didn't even make it halfway to the lineup at Canoes before I was knocked off the board by a little broken wave. But at least the water was translucent blue instead of murky green.
Then again, sometimes it is the equipment, at least partly, The SUPs we rented on the North Shore yesterday were much better, but Moku only had two for rent (cheaper than on Waikiki Beach), and I was stuck with a soft-top. I loathe soft-tops. The leash was too long; every time I fell, it seemed the board ended up far, far away. And the paddle wasn't scoop-shaped, just flat on both sides, which is a less efficient design (although I saw others using the same, so perhaps there's some reason for it?). I did manage to catch a couple waves, but didn't get my feet shifted from the parallel paddler's stance to surfing position in time to ride them, instead being tossed off the back as the board went forward without me. I think I'll save the waves for regular surfing and confine my janitorial activities to flat waters.

4 comments:

  1. Difficult things those paddle boards. We had some very amusing face plants and being thrown off the back, especially if you get them in the white breaking water on takeoff. I get great results from kneeling, I can manoevre the board more efficiently and paddle hard to get the wave, then pop up. I have never been a switch foot but find I am learning to do it on the paddle board. When they get slotted into the curl of a wave though, boy they are fast!! When that has happened I basically just let the board do its thing and push it back down the face so it doesn't take the easy road out over the back of the wave. Exhilerating.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried on my knees, just while paddling out for the extra stability. But then I got sore knees. So I'll stick with my surfboard, though I expect a SUP will be fun as a kayak substitute (I can't sit long in a kayak since I hurt my back surfing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a shame, but worth persevering with the SUP then. Yes, I get sore knees after a while except that the wetsuit acts as a bit of a barrier. It is just such a good alternative when there aren't big or fast enough waves to surf. My partner takes out a boogie board and now a surf mat when conditions are crap but I just can't get into it, so it is at least good to have that alternative in the small summer swells. And so good for core and butt muscles....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS We also use the SUPs in summer to paddle up the river when there isn't any other water action to be had, about 3 km up and back, so we can at least stay fit for surfing......

    ReplyDelete