06 May 2010

Ice Cream for Breakfast (HMB Jetty)

Ice cream headaches were on offer this morning in the chilly waters of Half Moon Bay. The wind-driven upwelling continues to push ocean temperatures into the low 50s, and the air was even colder, only 43 degrees when I arrived. What month is it again? Hard to believe the first day of summer is just over 6 weeks away.

I took advantage of a forecast short break in the onslaught of onshores to put in for dawn patrol at the Jetty. Various weather sites reported that winds were either calm or blowing 12-13 mph from the NW, so I took my chances and drove over the hill. In fact there was only a slight breath of breeze, although it started to pick up after my quick session. I'd tossed my 5/4 wetsuit in the car at the last minute in anticipation of the cold, but in a few scatter-brained moments, put on my inadequate 4/3 instead.


There were only a few shortboarders in the water with me on my 8'3" Magic hybrid. The waves were a confused mixture of SSW groundswell and NW windswell, but good things come to those who wait. I snagged three nice rides, a right and two lefts, one particularly fine as it flowed into an inside reform with a decent though brief shoulder. The shivers and my need to get to work at a respectable time drove me out of the water in under an hour, with a stoked smile on my face. Great way to start the day!

Surfline: A mostly clean mix of surf prevails this morning as SSW (185-200) groundswell continues to move in and NW windswell slowly eases. Most breaks hold in the waist-chest-head high+ range, as top breaks are pulling in a few overhead+ sets at times. Conditions are an issue again this morning with light onshore flow and generally textured, crossed-up surf on tap. Buoy 46012: 7.2 ft @ 9.1 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment