16 March 2011

Just One (38th Ave)

Even though I'd bagged an amazing parking space in Capitola, right in front of Margaritaville, my buddies wanted to surf at 38th Ave so that's where I went. This afternoon it was not a mushy and mellow longboard break. The waves were bigger than I've ever seen there, overhead on the sets, and I saw a guy get tubed. It was too effing crowded and I was getting frustrated after a while, having caught only a broken wave while watching other surfers take the good ones. I left Darren in the pack and moved inside, where I found Luke on an egg, one of the boards that were just given to him by a couple moving to Utah. It was less crowded on the inside, probably because it was often closing out. I got a few drops but little joy. Then I caught a near head-high right with a fun drop and a shoulder that held up for a bit, giving me a ride all the way to the beach. Woot! That one was all I needed.
Surfline: Overlapping WNW (275-305) groundswells (new one building in this afternoon) hold up plenty of head high+ surf today with 2-3'+ overhead sets at top exposed spots. Winds remain light out of the West this afternoon with mostly clean conditions. Tide is also dropping out with many breaks looking pretty fun right now. Buoy 46012: (Wave) SWELL: 13.5 ft at 17.4 s WNW 23 / WIND WAVE: 2.6 ft at 4.2 s WNW  / WVHT: 13.5 ft / APD: 10.8 s / MWD: 290° (Met) WSPD: 12 kts / GST: 16 kts / WVHT: 13.5 ft / DPD: 17.0 s / WDIR: 330° / ATMP: 52.9° F / WTMP: 52.9° F. Tide: 1' rising to 2.5'

No comments:

Post a Comment