10 July 2011

Pre-Surfari (HMB Jetty)

This morning my little posse gathered for a surf at the Jetty followed by lunch at the High Tide Cafe to refuel and firm up details of our SoCal surf safari next weekend. When you're chilling (literally) in 53-degree water, 70-degree water is a welcome thought.
Luke working for it, Nikki and J-Bird book-ending
Luke and Nikki
The waves were decent on the south swell but the crowd was ridiculous most of the time. I rode a couple of waves and made a few more drops on closeouts but was otherwise frustrated by oncoming traffic and especially one particular snake. Finally I moved down the beach to get some space for myself, and caught a fun wave in.

For this session, I tried out one of Clark Little's tips for aquatic photos, and coated my camera lens with dried dish soap. The results were obviously less than stellar so I'll go back to RainX. I'd rather have a clear lens with an occasional droplet than areas of distortion.

There's much to look forward to this week: an initial assessment with a surf coach on Tuesday, and surfing a south swell with my buddies in warm San Diego and Orange County next weekend. Pre-stoked!
Surfline: SW (200-220) groundswell and NW windswell mix continues with 3-4'+ surf at the decent exposures and combo spots. A new SW-SSW (190-210) swell picks up through the day. Conditions are a bit funky/crumbly for most areas thanks to SW wind early (S wind protected spots are cleanest). Buoy 46012: (Wave) SWELL: 5.6 ft at 9.1 s NW 54 / WIND WAVE: 6.6 ft at 7.7 s NW / WVHT: 8.5 ft / APD: 6.3 s / MWD: 317° (Met) WSPD: 16 kts / GST: 21 kts / WVHT: 8.5 ft / DPD: 9.0 s / WDIR: 310° / ATMP: 53.8° F / WTMP: 53.6° F. Tide: 3.5' falling to 3.'

No comments:

Post a Comment