19 February 2009

Can't See Surfing Tomorrow Either

Still beached.

A few people have asked what's wrong with my eyes. The main problem is that I'm seriously myopic; I literally can't see more than 6 inches without correction. (Now that I'm getting older, I can't see up close either, so my naked-eye depth-of-view is from about 5-6 inches. Ugh.) Normally my near-sightedness is fixed with soft contact lenses (and I worship their inventor), but for a week I haven't been able to wear them. Last Tuesday, S and I went for routine eye exams at Eyeworks of San Mateo, and a few days later, we both had eye infections. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I doubt it, and after shelling out for another exam and a $50 prescription copay, I'm not going to risk a return visit.

Regardless, I can't see well enough to surf without contacts, and of course I can't surf in glasses. And I can't snowboard or swim. Or even drive without added risk (no peripheral vision, objects closer than they appear). It wasn't so bad over the weekend, with heavy rain and storms chopping up big surf, but now that conditions have cleaned up and the swell is fun-sized, I'm getting very angry about this situation. My gills are all dried up and I need to get in the water and ride some waves. I'm afraid my eyes will not be well enough tomorrow, but fortunately it looks like Saturday will still have good surf on offer. And I'd better be better by then.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Surfergrrrl
    A friend emailed your review and I just finished reading it.
    I’m stoked you bought the Hug a Jug, but disappointed to read the Hug a Jug is not keeping your rinse water warm. Per our web store, our products are guaranteed to give you 100% satisfaction. I’m surprised, but more importantly, I’m sorry to hear the jug is not working for you. Please email us at info@hugajug.com to coordinate a complete refund.
    If you decide to keep the Hug a Jug, please try these adjustments.

    String–held screw cap: you can move the “cap leash” from the bottle neck and attach it to the shoulder strap – this will keep the cap out of your way while rinsing off and the string is long enough to still cap the bottle.

    Shoulder strap getting in the way: the strap is fully adjustable and can be adjusted to wrap snuggly around the sides and bottom of the jug; loosen as needed if going to be used as a shoulder strap. Alternatively, the shoulder strap can be tucked into the mesh side pocket and no messing with the strap length.

    Unnecessary size: yes, the 2 gallon bottle holds a lot of water. When we designed the insulating jacket, we added a side strap along with the “Easy Grip" access pockets to reach in and hold the bottle's Easy Grip handle. Holding the Hug a Jug by the side strap and the easy grip handle in a two handed manner is the preferred method for lifting the jug while rinsing-off.

    Keeping water warm: The insulated jacket is triple insulated on the sides and bottom. Depending on the outside air temperature the insulated jug will keep the water hot or cold for about 4 – 6 hours. I fill it up in the morning before leaving for the break and after a few hours in the water, my rinse water is ready to go and plenty warm. During the winter months I fill the jug with hot tap water that is around 110 degree Fahrenheit and in the summer months the 110 F is too hot so I cut back on the temperature. After a few hours in the car the water is still very warm (at least 90 - 95+ degree Fahrenheit).
    I hope this helps, please contact us if you’d like a refund. Great blog on your surfing adventures
    Dave
    Hug a Jug

    ReplyDelete