22 July 2012

Social Sunday Sloppy Surf (HMB Jetty)

Crowd-sourcing the decision of where to surf this morning didn't work so well, but it was still nice to share waves with my buddies.
Heather and Perrin heading out at the Jetty
Kelly was clean but solidly overhead, and I'm not currently in condition for that size and power, either physically or mentally. At Dunes there was a light chop on waves head-high and under. I suited up there as the reports came in. J-Bird and Jacob passed by messy overhead Montara and said the Jetty was flatski on their way to Dunes with Perrin in tow. Yet Luke, with his beginner friend MJ, and Heather decided to paddle out at the Jetty, calling it small but rideable. Upon hearing Jacob say he'd looked at the Jetty for a mere 5 seconds, we dispatched one of our number for a better report, and thereby lost Perrin. Wanting to be sociable, the rest of us headed back north.
The Jetty was small, sloppy, sloshy and bumpy. On a windswelly day like this, it seemed like an icy, rocky bunny slope, and I was soon wishing I'd stayed on the better-groomed blue run at Dunes. I got a few rides on my shortboard, including a right that didn't close out for at least a second; small stoke, yeah! Failing to navigate a steep drop, I also bagged a pretty good wipeout. With all the bumps, it was harder to stay on the 6'2" once I was up and riding as compared to a longer, more stable platform, but I like the challenge; next time, I will navigate those moguls. 
Heather, Luke, Jacob, J-Bird, Perrin, and MJ
I dropped in on J-Bird to ride our last wave in together. On the beach, I turned to film Jacob coming in, including his awesome dismount. Still a fun time with friends! 
Surfline: Increased NW windswell on tap as new, secondary SW-SSW energy slowly moves in through the day. Waist-chest high waves work through at exposed areas, while select standout locations see better sets. Light SW-Westerly flow early with some texture and crumble to the surface for the open areas. Buoy 46012: (Wave) SWELL: 7.2 ft at 10.0 s NW 56 / WIND WAVE: 4.9 ft at 5.6 s NW / WVHT: 8.9 ft / APD: 6.9 s / MWD: 314° (Met) WSPD: 16 kn / GST: 19 kn / WVHT: 8.9 ft / DPD: 10.0 s / WDIR: 310° / ATMP: 54° F / WTMP: 54° F. Tide: 2' rising to 3.5'.

No comments:

Post a Comment