29 October 2010

Friday Night Rights and Lefts (Capitola)

I really wanted Capitola to be working today. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was feeling lazy and in need of a mellow sesh, without worrying about getting in and out on slimy, inundated stairs at one of the other Eastside breaks on a high tide. Or maybe it was just because I hadn't surfed there in a while.
Happily, my wish was granted. There were notable lulls and the waves were a little shifty and sometimes doubled up, but on the sets they were shoulder- to head-high. Though the crowd swelled as the after-work crew filled in, I still got a bunch of rides, both rights and lefts. The drops were fun, and I'm glad I managed not to land on a polite tween boy in a holey wetsuit who kept planting his ill-suited shortboard directly in my path.
My best waves were a few head-high lefts, swooping with a woo-hoo down the unsteep drop, once slotting between the aforementioned tween and a couple of grayhairs, into a fast fun ride. The set waves had punch, and I worked them through a slow section into another drop, riding in close to the base of the cliff. Stoked!

Surfline: 2-3 ft. Sizeable new WNW swell builds further this afternoon, mixing with some leftover WNW and South swell energy. Most breaks see solid shoulder-head high+ surf, with sets running 2-3'+ overhead at top WNW exposures, nearing double overhead at times. Conditions are mostly clean, although a bit jumbled at the most openly exposed breaks. Look for our new WNW swell to peak through the afternoon and start to back off slightly. Buoy 46012: (Wave) SWELL: 12.1 ft at 13.8 s WNW / WIND WAVE: 2.3 ft at 5.3 s SSW / WVHT: 12.1 ft / APD: 10.6 s / MWD: 295°

No comments:

Post a Comment