10 February 2011

Cold Pleasure (Pleasure Point)

In view of the tides today, I was open to surfing either Santa Cruz before work or Half Moon Bay after. Two of my buddies voted for the former, and we were to meet up at the Hook at dawn. The new groundswell hadn't come up as much as I'd expected, so the Hook was small, 38th had mere traces, and distant Pleasure Point looked like the happenin' spot. Quite a difference in the weather from my last session: both days were sunny, but on Sunday I stripped down to my bikini top as we walked to check the surf, whereas this morning it was a chill 38 degrees when I changed under my new Surf-Fur.

Neither of my buddies made it out, but I had a fun solo session on my own inside peak near the main one. The waves were inconsistent and mostly around shoulder high. They were all rights, and decently long with good push. The funnest had a nice drop, flattened out and reformed for another downsized drop, then did it again, and I bailed off the back as it closed in the kelpy shallows. Woot! I came up smiling, tee-hee-hee, that was so much fun!

Surfline: 2-3 ft+ occasionally 4 ft. Clean, lined-up, inconsistent peaks working through this morning. There are a few okay corners if you're in the right spot. A new longer period W-WNW (275-300+) groundswell is on the rise this morning as old WNW-NW swell-mix mixes in. Conditions are looking fairly clean through town with light NE winds 3-7kts. For the dawn patrol most breaks are good for knee-waist-chest high surf, with top exposures pulling in some inconsistent shoulder-head high sets. More size builds through the day. Buoy 46012: (Wave) SWELL: 6.9 ft at 16.0 s W 13 / WIND WAVE: 1.3 ft at 3.3 s WNW / WVHT: 6.9 ft / APD: 8.4 s / MWD: 270° (Met) WSPD: 4 kts / GST: 6 kts / WVHT: 6.9 ft / DPD: 16.0 s / WDIR: 20° / ATMP: 51.4° F / WTMP: 52.2° F.
Tide: 2.5' falling below 1'.

No comments:

Post a Comment